February 16, 2010

corner view "wisdom from an elder"

I think Amma is the wisest person I know. She's given me lots of wisdom. Once I asked her if I should try to meditate and become at peace or try to become a famous musician so I can help the world with music. I told her I just wanted to help people and make them happy but I was worried that if I became famous that I would gain ego and become distracted with my spiritual life.  She told me to do both and that if I had no ego then I wouldn't be able to survive in this world.
Also just being around her and knowing her has taught me so much. I've become more kind, patient, loving, giving and peaceful. Every year Annabel and I make a charity box with about $200 of money we've worked for and we give it to her. Just knowing that the money will help someone who is starving more than it will help us buy a new toy makes us feel good inside. That's what Amma has taught me.



I also think Swami Dayamrita (one of Amma's monks) is one of the wisest people I know. He's the kind of person who is quiet but when he speaks, his words have meaning. When I asked him how to resist getting irritated, he told me that I should pretend that the person I'm irritated with is someone I respect and I would never yell at. Ever since then I feel like I've become just a little bit of a better person.


***
For more corner views, visit Jane's sidebar.

13 comments:

Francesca said...

you're going to become a wise and generous musician, Sky.

Emily said...

It sounds like you have some incredibly wise elders in your life. Thanks for sharing their advice. I, for one, already feel like I learned a lot!

Bree said...

i am with fransesca!

Victoria | Hibiscus Bloem said...

With such good advice, you're sure to turn out just great whatever you do.

Conny said...

That is so cool that they are a part of your life. And what's just as cool as that you're mature enough to recognize the wisdom. :>) Happy Corner View day.

Elizabeth said...

You are a deep and powerful person already, Skylar, affecting more people in ways more beautiful than you realize. Thank you for this corner view.

Theresa said...

Amma is right. So is Swami, especially the part about dealing with people who are difficult. Good job!

jane said...

wonderful post. you already sound wiser than your years. hugs!

Kenza said...

Hello sweet Skylar! What an enchanting blog you have! Wonderful! and thank you for your visit to caramelcaramelo and such nice words. Have a lovely day and week end!

Anonymous said...

Wow Sky...a wise spirit you already have. And surrounded by so many wise elders...you lucky lucky girl. You know the deal and you'll make it big time. Have a wonderful weekend ;-)

* * said...

Dear Sky,
Your mama just shared with me your music, it was a joy to hear your voice and thoughtful lyrics this morning. You truly have a gift of music as well as sharing peace it so clearly comes from your heart. Thank you for sharing this wisdom that you have learned from your elders.

Guusje said...

Hi Skylar, I read you book brotherhood, I just just loved it. Thank you so much, dear Skylar.

Now off to you tube, to hear you sing.

A warm hug from Holland.
x Guusje

chia said...

I often forget how old you are when I read your posts. I'm not half as eloquent as you. I'm really glad to see that you are trying to live Amma's words. We are blessed to have good teachers! And I pray that she blesses you with success in music and life :)