October 21, 2009

Apple Pie

I made apple pie on Saturday. I made three mini ones. One for my brother and sister, and one for me. My parents went out to dinner so I made them a tiny one for them to share with the leftover ingredients. I made up what to put in the pie but I didn't make up the crust. All of the recipes I could find had sugar so I made up my own!

Sugarless Apple Pie Recipe: (Makes 2 single 9 inch pie or three 6 inch pies or 1 two-crust 9 inch).
  • For the crust: 
2 cups sifted flower        
3/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup shortening (if you don't have shortening use half butter, half sunflower oil)
4 to 6 tablespoons of cold water.

 Sift flower and salt and cut in shortening with 2 knives or pastry blender. Add water using only a small portion at a time, until mixture will hold together. Roll out dough as thin as possible and put into pan.
  • For the apples: Mix 7-8 apples, peeled in a large bowl. Add cinnamon (it depends on how cinnamony you like it) then add a dash of nut meg, agave nectar and a bit of maple syrup. Mix well. Add about 1/3 cup apple juice. Before baking, oil pan with sunflower oil and add 2 cups of apple juice mixed with 1 1/2 cup of cornstarch. This will give it a jelly-like filling! Yum!
  • Add apples into crust. Then fill pie with apple juice/cornstarch mixture. Put in oven.
  • Bake at 450* F. for 15 minutes. Then decrease to 350* F. for 45 minutes.  If you like cold pie, keep in refrigerator for 3-4 hours.
  • Enjoy! Optional: Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. If you want a sugar rush, add both!

 

 

 
Yum!

2 comments:

CinemaSlam said...

Wow! We should pitch a Howcast video, "How to Make a Sugar-Free Apple Pie". Make sure you share this with Constance, her mom is a nutritionist (and a great cook) and they'd love to know how you did it. My only question is, "No pie for Miss Lisa?" ;)

Anonymous said...

Wow, you're very creative! I think all great cooks use recipes only to get ideas, and then make their own as they go along. Agave nectar and maple syrup are not available in my part of the world, and in fact, I'd never heard of agave nectar, although we do have agave plants here! I like your idea of making individual pies.